Landmark Center


Landmark Center – Saint Paul

This Chateauesque granite building with clock towers and ornate interiors was designed by Willoughby J. Edbrooke and built in 1894-1902 to serve as the U.S. Post Office, Courthouse, and Customs House. The building’s future looked doubtful by the mid-1960s when the federal agencies left. In the 1970s, a group of determined citizens led by Elizabeth Musser and public officials saved the building from the wrecking ball by securing its transfer to Ramsey County and restoring its grandeur. The firm of Winsor/Faricy Architects (predecessor firm to Collaborative Design Group) took on the extensive renovation that included restoring the courtrooms, refinishing the ornate interior details, updating mechanical and fire prevention systems, and replacing the plumbing system. The project received an AIA Minnesota Honor Award in 1979. Today, the building serves as home to a number of nonprofit organizations, including the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota, and it plays host to civic and private functions. Landmark Center, operated by Minnesota Landmarks, was awarded an AIA Minnesota 25-Year Award in 2005 for the lasting benefits of this restoration project.