Frank B. Semple’s Mansion Then and Now

The Semple Mansion on Franklin in 1910 and 2012

The Semple Mansion on Franklin in 1910 and 2012

 

Frank Semple, was a partner in a wildly successful wholesale hardware firm. Janney Semple and Company, began on the Mississippi riverfront in 1866 and operated under different names until it was acquired by a national retailer in 1960. Framk and his wife Anne built this imposing Beaux-Arts mansion on the corner of Franklin and Blaisdell in 1901. The building has amazing reception hall complete with mahogany paneling, a hardwood floor with marble inlays, and a frescoed ceiling. Frank’s funeral was held there in 1904. He’s buried in Lakewood. The home continued to be a private residence until 1935 when it was acquired by Ministers Life and Casualty Union. In 1954, it became the headquarters of the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation and in 1961, it became Franklin National Bank. In 1996 The bank moved across the street and the building went to African American Family Services. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. In 2005, the Semple Mansion was purchased by the current owners and these days 1,000-square-foot living room and a ballroom are available as a reception site for weddings and other events.

Comments Closed