Acoma Town Hall

(Nearly) All in Favor of Preservation

The former District 15 schoolhouse in Acoma Township was in use until 1959 when busing became available for students to attend classes in nearby Hutchinson. The 1915 building was then

The tin ceiling of the large schoolroom was restored, new lights and windows installed, and the floors refinished to create a functional and welcoming space.

repurposed as the Acoma Town Hall, used as the local polling place and for occasional civic gatherings. In 2005, the town board started considering other options for the neglected building, including demolition. Unable to reach a consensus, the board decided to put the issue to a vote. The residents of Acoma Township voted 133 to 21 in favor of saving the building and the township levied $25,000 annually for three years to fund its rehabilitation.

From 2005 to 2011, a total of nearly $65,000 was spent on repairs and other work—approximately half the estimated expense for demolition and construction of a modest, and architecturally undistinguished, new building. Although use of the historic building is still limited by substandard plumbing and inadequate restroom facilities, it regularly hosts township board meetings, elections, and special events.

A wooden case in the small library room holds historic artifacts from the building’s past as a one-room school.

To celebrate the restoration work to date, a District 15 School reunion and open house took place in 2010. Former students and teachers of the district were reunited to share stories of their one room schoolhouse for the first time in decades, and to share in the vision of its long-term preservation.

Project Costs

Total:  $65,130 (For all interior, exterior, cleanup, electrical, and plumbing work from 2005 to 2011)

Funding Sources

Township Levy: $25,000/year for 3 years

For more information:

Corrinne Schlueter, Township Clerk

“Former school shines as Acoma Town Hall,” Kay Johnson, Hutchinson Leader, August 5, 2010.

Comments Closed