Wells Center (Minneapolis)

Situated on two city lots, the Wells Center is owned by the Minneapolis Community and Technical College (MCTC). Originally constructed for the Alden Smith family in 1887 by locally renowned architect William Channing Whitney, this large Richardsonian Romanesque-style residence sat among other prominent family homes near downtown. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, and is a designated Minneapolis landmark. Although adapted for various uses over the years, the structure remained largely intact but today is only partially used by MCTC. With a growing campus population, this property is prime for redevelopment, and the house itself does not fulfill a clear need or purpose for the college. The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system has vowed to provide basic maintenance for the foreseeable future, but creative solutions must considered so that the college can continue to serve its students while ensuring the preservation of this historic building.

To read more on the history of the building, visit: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/hpc/landmarks/Harmon_Pl_1400-10_Alden_Smith_House.asp

Comments Closed