Ford Building (Saint Paul)

In 1913, the Ford Motor Company built two assembly plants—one in each city—to supply Twin Cities area Ford dealerships. Although assembly operations ceased at the St. Paul location less than a decade after opening, the building was used as a Ford sales and service center for many years to follow. By 1937 the structure was vacant, and it changed hands several times in the following years before the State of Minnesota purchased it to house various department offices.  PAM listed the Ford Building on the 10 Most Endangered list in 2004, when the State planned to demolish the building for a surface parking lot. The Ford Building since has been mothballed, but still awaits a viable reuse.

More photos and information are available from University United.

Visit the Frogtown Neighborhood Association (District 7) and support their efforts.

Comments Closed